Friday Night Dinners Inspired by a Global Jewish Kitchen
About the Book
Welcome to the Shabbat Table
52 Shabbats: Friday Night Dinners Inspired by a Global Jewish Kitchen invites everyone, regardless of religious background, to honor the tradition of Shabbat with a special meal on Friday evenings. Whether you celebrate as a single, part of a couple, or with family members and or friends, each of the more than 90 modern recipes will add flavor and meaning to the table. The recipes, which have been inspired by Jewish communities around the world, add flavor and meaning to the Shabbat or holiday table, and offer a holistic scope of the Shabbat tradition for every reader, Jewish or otherwise. The book also explores holidays and symbolism of the Jewish calendar with new, seasonal recipes that explore old food ways as well as step-by-step directions for some of the fundamentals of Jewish cooking such as Friday Night Challah, Chicken Soup, and Almost Homemade Hummus. Faith Kramer outlines recipe pairings in a mix-and-match friendly format, incorporating easy substitutes throughout the cookbook to make Shabbat accessible for all lifestyles. If you have ever thought about starting, sharing, or expanding your celebration of Shabbat, or just adding to your Jewish food repertoire with dishes such as Pomegranate Molasses Brisket, Matzah Ball and Pozole Soup, or Sweet-and-Tart Silan-Roasted Carrots with Lentils, let 52 Shabbats be your guide.
Where to Buy
Get Your Copy
$32.50 USD • $43.50 CA
232 Pages • 7 x 9 • ISBN 9781951412180
$16.99 USD • $22.99 CA
256 Pages • 7 x 9 • ISBN 9781951412265
Some people may be content with the same menu every week, but Kramer is evidently not.
She embraces not only particular dishes from countries where Jews have lived and adapted to the culinary culture, but also particular ingredients from those cuisines. Kramer’s recipes are rooted in classic Jewish preparations and have familiar-sounding names, but her unique spin often completely transforms them into something new.
Los Angeles Times
What a joy it is to read and cook from Faith Kramer’s 52 Shabbats!
Her wonderfully creative recipes, like her roast chicken with leek-and-mint fritters inspired by a Greek-Jewish grandmother to her spicy beef tzimmes with Mexican and Eastern European flavors, are grounded in favorite foods of the global Jewish kitchen and come with fascinating stories of their origins. I look forward to including some of them in my Shabbat celebrations.
Faye Levy, Author
First of all, I love this book. Before I even got to the recipes, I was engulfed in so much warmth and well being from the stories.
I felt at home, among all of the ways of being Jewish, throughout the world. This book is truly a joy: to read, to taste and I can't wait to cook and eat from it. Its like all of my favorite life-long cookbooks: a personal letter, from your kitchen, like a best friend. A best friend with great recipes and stories.
Marlena Spieler, Author
52 Shabbats is a beautiful book!
Faith offers a fascinating, mouthwatering journey of Jewish cuisine in her inspired collection of recipes, blending time-honored and personal traditions, rich in flavors from around the world, elevating the classics into the spectacular. Not just for Shabbat and not just for Jews, 52 Shabbats is a unique - and accessible - collection of recipes for every night or for a celebration.
Jamie Schler, Author
52 Shabbats is an informative, treat-laden cookbook full of ideas for those who want to set their weekly holiday tables in style.
Honoring traditional tastes and suggesting delectable twists on family favorites, Kramer’s smart and seasonal cookbook introduces enough recipes to feed its audience well throughout the year. Though the book includes instructions for classics like tzimmes, hummus, latkes, and challah, it prioritizes fusion dishes that highlight the worldwide spread of the Jewish community.
Kramer ventures into new territory with a wealth of information, not just for Jews, but also for anyone who appreciates world flavors, history & great techniques.
The book begins with explanations of the Jewish diaspora from all nations, how the food evolved, and the overall dictates of keeping kosher. Then the pièces de résistance: memorable dishes like lamb-hummus bowls, falafel pizza with feta and herbs, and raisin-and-almond twirls.
Faith Kramer illustrates how history and location have influenced Shabbat over the centuries.
Her writing and directions are clear and approachable with essays that are compelling. Faith has included recipes that not only have you rethinking Shabbat but dinner year-round.
The King's English Bookshop
About the Author
Meet Faith Kramer
Faith Kramer is a food writer and recipe developer concentrating on the food ways, history, and customs of the Jewish diaspora.
She develops recipes and writes about Jewish customs and food as well as travel, and global ingredients.
As a columnist for j., the Jewish News of Northern California, she writes articles on food and cooking along with original recipes.
She is also a monthly food columnist for her local synagogue’s newsletter. She has a blog that chronicles her early exploration of international and Jewish food.
Faith has taught cooking classes on food from around the world, presented programs on Jewish customs, celebrations, and holidays, and led food-related walking tours that explore the economic, geographic, and political underpinnings of the food as well as how to use international ingredients in other contexts.
She lives with her family in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Central Market Cooking School in San Antonio
Ticket includes a glass of wine and a dinner / cooking demonstration with Faith!
Central Market Cooking School in Austin
Ticket includes a glass of wine and a dinner / cooking demonstration with Faith!
Central Market Cooking School in Dallas
Ticket includes a glass of wine and a dinner / cooking demonstration with Faith!
Join the Mailing List
Sign Up for Emails
Subscribe to Faith’s mailing list to receive updates on her latest work, the occasional recipe, and more!
Contact Faith Kramer
Get In Touch
Dear friends, It’s my honor to share these recipes and traditions with you. I look forward to hearing your feedback, and hope this book will help cultivate depth & meaning at your family table. Shabbat Shalom, Faith Kramer
Interpretation and Definitions
The words of which the initial letter is capitalized have meanings defined under the following conditions. The following definitions shall have the same meaning regardless of whether they appear in singular or in plural.
- Account means a unique account created for You to access our Service or parts of our Service.
- Company (referred to as either “the Company”, “We”, “Us” or “Our” in this Agreement) refers to FaithKramer.com.
- Cookies are small files that are placed on Your computer, mobile device or any other device by a website, containing the details of Your browsing history on that website among its many uses.
- Country refers to: California, United States
- Device means any device that can access the Service such as a computer, a cellphone or a digital tablet.
- Personal Data is any information that relates to an identified or identifiable individual.
- Service refers to the Website.
- Service Provider means any natural or legal person who processes the data on behalf of the Company. It refers to third-party companies or individuals employed by the Company to facilitate the Service, to provide the Service on behalf of the Company, to perform services related to the Service or to assist the Company in analyzing how the Service is used.
- Usage Data refers to data collected automatically, either generated by the use of the Service or from the Service infrastructure itself (for example, the duration of a page visit).
- Website refers to FaithKramer.com, accessible from https://faithkramer.com/
- You means the individual accessing or using the Service, or the company, or other legal entity on behalf of which such individual is accessing or using the Service, as applicable.
Collecting and Using Your Personal Data
Types of Data Collected
While using Our Service, We may ask You to provide Us with certain personally identifiable information that can be used to contact or identify You. Personally identifiable information may include, but is not limited to:
- Email address
- First name and last name
- Usage Data
Usage Data is collected automatically when using the Service. Usage Data may include information such as Your Device’s Internet Protocol address (e.g. IP address), browser type, browser version, the pages of our Service that You visit, the time and date of Your visit, the time spent on those pages, unique device identifiers and other diagnostic data. When You access the Service by or through a mobile device, We may collect certain information automatically, including, but not limited to, the type of mobile device You use, Your mobile device unique ID, the IP address of Your mobile device, Your mobile operating system, the type of mobile Internet browser You use, unique device identifiers and other diagnostic data. We may also collect information that Your browser sends whenever You visit our Service or when You access the Service by or through a mobile device.
Tracking Technologies and Cookies
- Flash Cookies. Certain features of our Service may use local stored objects (or Flash Cookies) to collect and store information about Your preferences or Your activity on our Service. Flash Cookies are not managed by the same browser settings as those used for Browser Cookies. For more information on how You can delete Flash Cookies, please read “Where can I change the settings for disabling, or deleting local shared objects?” available at https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/disable-local-shared-objects-flash.html#main_Where_can_I_change_the_settings_for_disabling__or_deleting_local_shared_objects_
- Web Beacons. Certain sections of our Service and our emails may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs, pixel tags, and single-pixel gifs) that permit the Company, for example, to count users who have visited those pages or opened an email and for other related website statistics (for example, recording the popularity of a certain section and verifying system and server integrity).
Cookies can be “Persistent” or “Session” Cookies. Persistent Cookies remain on Your personal computer or mobile device when You go offline, while Session Cookies are deleted as soon as You close Your web browser. Learn more about cookies: Cookies by PrivacyPolicies Generator. We use both Session and Persistent Cookies for the purposes set out below:
- Necessary / Essential CookiesType: Session CookiesAdministered by: UsPurpose: These Cookies are essential to provide You with services available through the Website and to enable You to use some of its features. They help to authenticate users and prevent fraudulent use of user accounts. Without these Cookies, the services that You have asked for cannot be provided, and We only use these Cookies to provide You with those services.
- Functionality CookiesType: Persistent CookiesAdministered by: UsPurpose: These Cookies allow us to remember choices You make when You use the Website, such as remembering your login details or language preference. The purpose of these Cookies is to provide You with a more personal experience and to avoid You having to re-enter your preferences every time You use the Website.
Use of Your Personal Data
The Company may use Personal Data for the following purposes:
- To provide and maintain our Service, including to monitor the usage of our Service.
- To manage Your Account: to manage Your registration as a user of the Service. The Personal Data You provide can give You access to different functionalities of the Service that are available to You as a registered user.
- For the performance of a contract: the development, compliance and undertaking of the purchase contract for the products, items or services You have purchased or of any other contract with Us through the Service.
- To contact You: To contact You by email, telephone calls, SMS, or other equivalent forms of electronic communication, such as a mobile application’s push notifications regarding updates or informative communications related to the functionalities, products or contracted services, including the security updates, when necessary or reasonable for their implementation.
- To provide You with news, special offers and general information about other goods, services and events which we offer that are similar to those that you have already purchased or enquired about unless You have opted not to receive such information.
- To manage Your requests: To attend and manage Your requests to Us.
- For business transfers: We may use Your information to evaluate or conduct a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of Our assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which Personal Data held by Us about our Service users is among the assets transferred.
- For other purposes: We may use Your information for other purposes, such as data analysis, identifying usage trends, determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns and to evaluate and improve our Service, products, services, marketing and your experience.
We may share Your personal information in the following situations:
- With Service Providers: We may share Your personal information with Service Providers to monitor and analyze the use of our Service, to contact You.
- For business transfers: We may share or transfer Your personal information in connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of Company assets, financing, or acquisition of all or a portion of Our business to another company.
- With business partners: We may share Your information with Our business partners to offer You certain products, services or promotions.
- With other users: when You share personal information or otherwise interact in the public areas with other users, such information may be viewed by all users and may be publicly distributed outside.
- With Your consent: We may disclose Your personal information for any other purpose with Your consent.
Retention of Your Personal Data
Transfer of Your Personal Data
Disclosure of Your Personal Data
Under certain circumstances, the Company may be required to disclose Your Personal Data if required to do so by law or in response to valid requests by public authorities (e.g. a court or a government agency).
Other legal requirements
The Company may disclose Your Personal Data in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to:
- Comply with a legal obligation
- Protect and defend the rights or property of the Company
- Prevent or investigate possible wrongdoing in connection with the Service
- Protect the personal safety of Users of the Service or the public
- Protect against legal liability
Security of Your Personal Data
The security of Your Personal Data is important to Us, but remember that no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage is 100% secure. While We strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect Your Personal Data, We cannot guarantee its absolute security.
Our Service does not address anyone under the age of 13. We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from anyone under the age of 13. If You are a parent or guardian and You are aware that Your child has provided Us with Personal Data, please contact Us. If We become aware that We have collected Personal Data from anyone under the age of 13 without verification of parental consent, We take steps to remove that information from Our servers. If We need to rely on consent as a legal basis for processing Your information and Your country requires consent from a parent, We may require Your parent’s consent before We collect and use that information.
Links to Other Websites
- By email: firstname.lastname@example.org